Cancer is becoming rampant. Whether we have had a personal experience with cancer, or we know of a close friend or family member that has had or has cancer, it is definitely on the rise. Unfortunately, most of the time we don’t necessarily know the cause(s), but research is constantly on the go to unveil possible triggers and/or treatments. Below we will look at some superfoods that are powerful to our immune system and can help inhibit the growth and spread of cancer.
- Medicinal mushrooms, including Chaga, Reishi, Coriolus, and Maitake have immune-stimulating properties and can inhibit tumour growth. They can be taken as a tea, a tincture, or as a supplement in powder or capsule form.
- Ginger – this root can be added to food, including soups and stirfries, as well as smoothies, and teas to add a warming quality. It can be used to prevent and treat a variety of cancers including breast, lung, and colon.
- Miso – a fermented soybean paste that is not only tasty as a soup, but also full of health benefits. It has anti-cancer properties specifically for lung and breast cancer, as well as being highly beneficial for the digestive tract.
- Pomegranate – the seeds of this beautiful, deep-red coloured fruit, is full of anti-oxidants which are instrumental in fighting free-radicals in our bodies: the cause of many chronic, degenerative diseases including cancer. This fruit and juice can be helpful in fighting against lung, colon, skin, breast, and prostate cancer, as well as leukemias.
- Turmeric – this delicious spice found in many curries, is also protective against prostate and colon cancer. The root is highly anti-inflammatory, as well as being helpful to boost our brain health.
- Seaweed/kelp – a plant found in the sea that is high in iodine, as well as iron. It is also helpful to prevent certain cancers such as lung, skin, breast, and certain lymphomas.
- Parsley – an herb that grows quite abundantly in our gardens that has anti-tumour properties, as well as being a diuretic – to flush out toxins from our bladder and liver. It is also a great anti-oxidant – to bind free-radicals and remove them from our systems.
- Green tea – there are so many varieties of green tea, but they all share a similar property of being effective at fighting off cancer.
- Sauerkraut – a fermented and pickled cabbage that not only tastes yummy and is a great compliment to many dishes, but is also full of probiotics – ‘good’ bacteria for our gut that is beneficial to our digestive systems, as well as strengthening our immune system. Sauerkraut is also helpful in preventing and treating cancer, when consumed regularly.
- Dandelion greens – this bitter weed is high in vitamin A/beta carotene, alpha lipoic acid, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These components are all very high in anti-oxidants and help to protect again breast and prostate cancer. They can be made into a tea or tincture, or added to a salad to gain its benefits.
So here’s to adding a variety of superfoods to your diet to prevent and treat cancer, allowing your body to be as healthy and optimal as possible!