This time of year, after the busyness of Christmas, indulging in rich food & drink, and perhaps getting less sleep than we should, our immune systems often weaken and we can feel signs of a head cold coming on – sore, scratchy throat; sinus congestion, runny nose, plugged ears, headache, sore muscles, and fatigue. Below are some home remedies to nurture your immune system and to make you feel better!
- Drink plenty of fluids, preferably warm – water, lemon/ginger/honey tea, soups
- Gargle with warm salt water to help relieve sore throats
- Alternate hot and cold packs over congested sinuses
- Take a steam shower with eucalyptus essential oil to clear the sinuses
- Nasal salt flushes with sea salt and warm water to flush out the nasal cavity
- Eat lots of garlic and ginger
- Vitamin C and zinc capsules or lozenges
- Oil of oregano, Echinacea, grapefruit seed extract – all to support the immune system
- Lots of sleep! At least 8 hours of sleep per night and try to get to bed by 10pm or earlier
- Reduce intake of sugary foods. Sugar feeds the bacteria and viruses that are causing the Cold.