Bone broth contains many beneficial nutrients like glucosamine and chondroitin (which provides strength to joints), and minerals such as phosphorus, calcium and magnesium. Its main nourishing ingredient however is gelatin – that jelly-like substance that is found in ‘jello’. Gelatin and other non-muscle meats (eg. organ meats, skin, and marrow) are necessary to balance the methionine levels found in muscle meats. Methionine is an essential amino acid (a building block of protein) that, when in excess, will readily metabolize to a harmful substrate called homocysteine. In high levels, homocysteine can be a risk factor for heart disease and stroke by increasing plaque formation in arteries, as well as a possible contributor to Alzheimer’s disease.
Ancient healing knowledge
Our ancestors commonly consumed bone broth and other non-muscle meats. Lean animal meat that many of us consume today, was not as readily accessible and the hunter-gatherer populations of the past ate what was available – the whole animal, not just the muscle meats. In fact, many carnivorous animals will eat organ meat prior to eating the muscle meat – perhaps they innately know where the nourishment lies, and the balance that is needed. Bone broth can help to balance the consumption of muscle with non-muscle meat.
- 2 lbs bones from healthy origins (i.e. grass-fed beef bones, organic chicken carcass)
- 2 chicken feet for added gelatin
- 1 onion & peel
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch vegetable stems
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon (cut in half)
- 1 tbsp iodized sea salt
- Place everything in a slow cooker and pour filtered water on top.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for a minimum of 2 hours, and up to 48 hours. (Longer cooking times help to extract more calcium and cofactors out of the bone.)
- Strain and, when cool, store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Use as a stock base for soups or stews, or drink as is, as regularly as you desire. Enjoy the nutritive benefits and let the healing begin!