Are you familiar with castor oil and its many miracles? It is an oil made from castor bean and has many health benefits. This oil has been used historically for its laxative properties – it has a relaxing effect on the bowels, helping to ease constipation and promote elimination. Traditionally, it has also been used at the end of pregnancy (with recommendation from your midwife or M.D. following you during your pregnancy) to help initiate labour.
Castor oil has also been shown to increase circulation, and to help heal tissues and organs. It is excellent as part of any detoxification program as it is particularly effective in being absorbed into lymph circulation which can improve digestion, increase immune function, lessen inflammation, and reduce swelling in injured joints and extremities. It will also help relieve cramps – muscle, abdominal, and menstrual – by initiating relaxation. Additionally, this miracle oil has also been used in cases of uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts, to potentially help reduce the size of these benign growths in the female pelvic area.
So how do you make a castor oil pack for home use?
- take a white, cotton rag (flannel or t-shirt material is recommended), and soak liberally in castor oil
- place the soaked cloth over your entire abdomen, ensuring you cover your liver (bottom of the rib cage on the right hand side of your abdomen)
- cover with a piece of plastic (large produce bag, for example)
- place a hot water bottle or heating pad over top of this plastic
- cover up well with blankets, lay back, and relax
- leave the castor oil pack on for 10-45 minutes – for shorter periods if you are starting out
- apply the pack at least 4 times per week (daily is ideal!)
The rag can be stored somewhere cool in a plastic bag and re-used until it becomes discoloured, or develops a strong, rancid odour.
DO NOT USE ON ABDOMEN DURING YOUR ENTIRE PREGNANCY NOR DURING MENSTRUATION (THE LATTER ONLY IF NO HEAT)
Reap the benefits of these packs, and see how they can aid in a gentle detoxification and lymphatic drainage of your system. This can be used as a stand-alone treatment, or in conjunction with a nutritional cleanse. It is always best to consult your Naturopathic Doctor if you have any questions or concerns. We are always happy to help you to achieve your transformative health goals!