Allergy season is upon us. Itchy, watery, red eyes; sneezing, sinus congestion, scratchy throat, plugged ears, and fatigue. Sound familiar? Below are some natural treatments to help you get through the allergy season a little smoother.
- Vitamin C – a natural anti-histamine that can be powerful in reducing allergy symptoms.
- Quercetin – a bioflavonoid found in onions, apples, grapefruit, and green tea that has anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Taken as a supplement regularly during allergy season, it can help with allergy relief.
- Nettle Tea – used as a spring tonic and a general detoxifying herb that strengthens and supports the whole body. Drink 1 to 3 cups of this tea daily during allergy season to help manage the symptoms of hay fever and other environmental allergies.
- Homeopathy – An ancient technique of using minute amounts of natural substances to promote health by stimulating bodily energy. A number of different homeopathic remedies can be used to treat acute and chronic allergies depending on your specific symptoms.
- Intravenous vitamin/mineral therapy – high doses of vitamins and minerals are injected directly into the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive system. This allows the vitamins to flow directly into the cells. For patients with allergies, intravenous delivery of essential vitamins and trace minerals can be highly effective.
- Nasal rinses/netipot – using sea salt and warm water, this is a great way to flush out your nasal passages to help relieve congestion. Try doing this home remedy 1-2 times daily.
- Sublingual Immunotherapy (SLIT) – given as drops under the tongue, they treat the cause(s) of allergies by giving low doses of the allergen (for eg. cat dander) to the patient. Repeated exposure over time to these small doses, increases one’s tolerance to the allergens and reduces allergy symptoms. SLIT re-trains your body not to be allergic in the first place.
Scratch testing – if you are unsure of what exactly you are allergic to, scratch testing for specific allergens is available at Garibaldi Health Clinic. It is a simple test, and results are apparent in 20 minutes.